September not only celebrates those special four-legged friends that currently share our lives, but also includes a special day that honors those beloved pets that are no longer with us. An annual holiday that celebrates and honors those amazing animals that have died and passed over the Rainbow Bridge is here. It’s National Pet Memorial Day, an annual event, created more than 40 years ago by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries and Crematories. The event takes place on the second Sunday in September.
Whether you fancy felines, prefer pooches or critters of a different species altogether, the furry friends that share our homes are more than “just pets.” For many of us, they are beloved family members. These constant companions shower us with love and kisses without expecting much in return. When they die, they leave a huge hole in our hearts.
Please take a moment out of your day and remember and celebrate the time you shared with Fido or Fluffy with the following suggestions:
• Change your Facebook profile picture to one of your beloved pets.
• Take a stroll down memory lane and watch a few family flicks that feature your favorite furrbaby or get out the old photo album.
• Visit your pet's grave.
• Some locations around the country are holding special Pet Blessings for living pets.
• Donate or volunteer your time at a local animal shelter in your pet's honor.
• Post an online tribute about your favorite furry friend who is no longer with us.
It is important to remember that many shelters across the nation are inundated with abused, unloved, neglected and unwanted pets. Sadly, many of these amazing animals never make it out alive while waiting for someone like you to adopt them. Please consider opening your home and your heart to an animal in need – before it is too late.